BEST Orange Chicken
Don't order out... this is better!!
- 1 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/3 c. distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. orange zest
- 1 1/2 tsp. Sriracha
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp. water
For the chicken:
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into 1" chunks
- 3/4 c. cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 c. vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, lightly spray a 9x13 inch glass pan, set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl (or a 2 c. measuring cup), whisk together the chicken broth, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, orange zest, Sriracha, ginger, black pepper, and red pepper flakes, set aside.
- Place the cubes of chicken into a bowl with the whisked eggs, toss the chicken (taking care to let the egg drip off it) into a large ziplock bag full of the cornstarch. Zip and shake until evenly coated.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven. Working in batches (3-4), add the chicken and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 1-2 minutes, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Add the fried chicken to the prepared 9x13 pan. Whisk together a slurry of 1 tbsp. of cornstarch and 1 tbsp. of water, add to the sauce and then pour over the chicken. Place in the oven and bake uncovered for 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes or so. Remove and serve immediately.