Photo by: PrakTicIdeas
Some really good stuff here!
One Large Onion, or a few small ones - if you don't have a "deep" deep fryer, you can make small ones too :)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 C. Milk
- Water. (there are “fancier” batters, but I like the basics)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Peel the Onions and cut off the ends. Wash
- Cut the Onion diagonally ALMOST all the way through and separate the pieces to make it "bloom", if it falls apart don't worry you can still fry the petals
- Place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Take out of the fridge and cover in "seasoning"
- Dip in the "Batter"
- Then dip in the "seasoning" again
- Drop in the fryer or a deep pan with Oil
- If using the pan, fry for a couple minutes then flip to cover.
- Place the Onion on a LOT of paper towels to drain