Bacon Apple Grilled Cheese
Photo by: ProjectDomestication.com
This really comes together nicely!
- 1 tsp. good olive oil (plust more for grilling sandwich)
- 1 lg. red onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- Salt (to taste)
- freshly cracked pepper (to taste)
- 1 tsp. local honey
- 6-8 strips bacon
- 1 c. Cheddar, grated (packed well)
- 1 apple (I used Honeycrisp)
- 4 slices of sourdough bread (french country loaf also nice)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Over medium heat in a medium to large saute pan, heat one teaspoon olive oil until shimmering. Add onions and a few pinches of Real Salt and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile place bacon on rimmed baking sheet and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, until bacon is crisp. Place bacon on paper towel lined plate and dab dry.
- After red onions have cooked 10 minutes add honey and a few pinches of freshly cracked black pepper. Continue to cook until transparent, golden and caramelized.
- Heat griddle to 350 degrees. While onions and bacon are finishing, shred cheese and apples. Chop bacon. Add finished onions, bacon, grated cheese and apples in medium bowl and stir until evenly combined.
- Once griddle is preheated, dress one side of each slice of bread with olive oil (you may use butter instead). Place oiled sourdough on griddle and place a heaping 1 cup of mixture on bread and greens, if using. Top with second slice of bread and oil its top. Cook each side for approximately 4 minutes or until crispy and golden on outside. Repeat to make other sandwich. Slice in half and serve!
submitted by ProjectDomestication.com - more details here!
Great way to make sure the bacon doesn't fall off your sandwich :)