Apple Rose Tart
Photo by: Me
I forgot to buy roses for my mom for her birthday, but I had some apples lying around.
The 5 ingredients: Flour, Sugar, Cream cheese, Apples, Butter
1 cup Flour
1/4 cup Sugar
1/2 stick Butter, melted
½ Tbsp Salt
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup Sugar
4 large apples
1 cups Water
½ cup Sugar
Preparing the crust:
1. Mix flour, sugar, salt, and melted butter in a bowl until a dough is formed.
3. In a 9" tart/cake pan, press dough evenly around pan, roughly 1/4" in thick and poke several holes in the bottom with a fork to let steam out.
4. Place tart pan with crust inside the oven for 15 minutes until crust becomes golden brown (blind baking).
5. Remove when slightly firm and cool.
1. Mix cream cheese and sugar in a bowl until smooth.
2. Spread evenly over cooled crust.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until slightly firm.
4. Remove and cool in the refrigerator.
Arranging the Roses:
1. Thinly slice apples with a mandolin or knife, the thinner the better.
2. Put all slices into a large microwaveable bowl, and mix in water and sugar.
3. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, until apple slices are pliable.
4. Roll 6 thin slices into 6 small rolls. These will serve as the center for the roses.
5. Arrange each roll around the tart, pressing them into the now cooled, slightly firm filling. The cream cheese filling will hold the apples in place.
6. One at a time, arrange apple slices around the center of one rose until the rose is big enough.
7. Repeat process with remaining 5 roses, making sure that each rose is similar in size.
8. After all 6 roses are complete, fill in remaining gaps between the 6 roses with small rolls of apples. These are the "buds" or the "small roses".
9. Chill tart for 1 hour, and show the world what you've created.
-The Boy Who Loved To Bake