Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
Photo by: Susie
Simple, easy, and Delicious!
- 36 oz. raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts – should yield 4, 6 oz. portions
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup reduced fat Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
Homemade Tomato Sauce (optional)
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Place chicken in a slow cooker.
- Mix together Mozzarella with 1/8 cup Parmesan and set aside
- Combine all other ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- When done sprinkle Cheese Mix on top, let sit with lid on until cheese melts
- Serve 6 oz. of chicken with ½ cup of sauce, sprinkle with the extra Parmesan
Homemade Sauce Instructions (optional), do this before putting chicken in slow cooker
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion, tomato paste, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, pepper flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until onions are soft and tomato paste is rust-colored.
- Place tomato paste mixture to slow cooker and stir in drained tomatoes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in water and stir into tomato mixture.
Submitted by Medifast, adapted from Cooks Country - more here!