Grown Folks Candy Apples
Photo by: Karen Long
Apples dipped in caramel and then white or dark chocolate
- 6 apples, washed and dried (Honey Crisps and Granny Smith are excellent choices)
- 6 Popsicle sticks
- 10 oz bag of caramels chips (caramel bits worked well)
- 10 oz bag dark chocolate morsels
- 10 oz bag white chocolate morsels
- optional: toppings for sprinkling, dipping or drizzling (chopped nuts, candy sprinkles, melted chocolate for drizzling)
- Prepare apples for dipping.
- Insert Popsicle sticks into apples at stem stopping before puncturing through bottom of apple.
- Line baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Melt caramels according to package instructions.
- One at a time dip apples, letting extra caramel drip off.
- Place on wax paper to cool.
- Once all have been dipped, place in refrigerator for at least an hour to let caramel set up. *For neater apples use kitchen shears to trim excess caramel from the bottom of the cooled apples before dipping in chocolate.
- Melt chocolate according to package instructions.
- Dip caramel covered apples in chocolate until evenly covered.
- Let extra chocolate drip off.
- If adding toppings, sprinkle, dip or drizzle now.
- Place finished apple on wax paper until set. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate until needed. Depending on apple, should keep 3-5 days refrigerated.