Photo by: Janets Appalacian Kitchen
The leftover sandwich the next day is AWESOME too :)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 C. chopped bell pepper
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 C. Italian bread crumbs
- 2 slices white bread, crumbled
- 1 T. milk
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese, reserve 3/4 C. for topping
- 1/4 C. Parmesan cheese
- 1 C. marinara sauce, plus 1/2 -3/4 C. more for topping (Good Homemade Pizza/Marinara Sauce here)
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over med. high heat and sauté the onion and bell pepper for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, add the meats, onion and peppers along with all remaining ingredients reserving 3/4 C. mozzarella cheese for topping.
- Combine everything really well. Once it has all come together, place and mold the mixture in a baking dish of your choice.
- Spoon 1/2 to 3/4 C. of the marinara sauce on top and spread around.
- Place in a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining cheese and sprinkle a little dry basil over the top.
- Return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Make sure the meat is not pink before serving, baking time will vary depending on the thickness of your loaf. Mine was about 2" thick.
from Janets Appalachian Kitchen - more/full details here!