Little Blooming Onions
Photo by: GoooooodRecipes
Maybe with some cheese :)
16 cippollini onions
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- Fill a tall pot with 2 1/2 inches of oil. Preheat oil to 350˚F.
- Cut off 1/8 inch from the pointed stem end of each onion, then peel carefully, ensuring not to peel through an actual onion layer.
- Place the onion, cut-side up and make a cross-cut through the onion, leaving the bottom stem intact. Continue cross-cutting through the onion until you have 12 evenly spaced cuts through each onion.
- Turn the onions over and use your fingers to gently separate the outer layers.
- Pour buttermilk into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place remaining ingredients into another mixing bowl and toss together until well combined.
- Dip each onion into the buttermilk, shaking to remove any excess liquid. Quickly dredge each onion in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Repeat until each onion is double coated.
- Carefully drop a couple onions at a time into the hot oil, cut-side down, for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and fry for an additional 2 minutes or until each onion is crisp and golden brown.
- Transfer onions onto paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Quickly transfer to a cooling rack or serving plate and serve with buttermilk ranch dipping sauce.
from GooodRecipes - more here!!