Homemade English Muffins
Photo by: myfairbaking
Easier than you think!
1 cup of milk
3 TBSP butter
3 TBSP of honey
1 cup of warm water (105-110 degrees)
1/4 oz of yeast
2 TBSP cornmeal
5 cups + extra for sprinkling all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, mix lightly and set aside for ten minutes to foam lightly.
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk, butter and honey until the butter is melted. Let cool lightly.
- Combine the yeast mixture and milk mixtures gently.
- In a large bowl, sift 3 cups of flour. Stir in the milk and yeast. Sift the remaining flour and salt. Stir until cohesive.
- Flour and marble slab well and knead the dough for 3 minutes or til lightly elastic. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cover two cookie sheet with parchment and lightly sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Flour the marble slab lightly and roll the dough out until it's a 1/2 inch thick. Air on the side of too thick okay. Cut out circles (don't twirl your cutter, just cut). Gently place on the cookie sheets, sprinkle the tops with cornmeal and cover with a dry, light cloth. Let sit in a warm place for 45 minutes or til nearly doubled in size. It's more like 2/3. 45 minutes will definitely do though.
- Heat a heat bottomed skillet on medium low, don't grease it.
- Gently place a muffin in your hand and shake lightly to remove some of the corn meal. Gentleness is key in all of the handling. Place into the pan and repeat til the pan is full. Don't let them touch each other. Keep the heat on low. Cook for 8 minutes per side or until browned well, flip and cook again. Let cool lightly on a wire rack. Split and top with butter and honey.
submitted by MyFairBaking - much more here!
Easy and better bread! - You can throw in whatever you want :)
These are good rolls in general - but the bunny thing... come on ;)
Best Pizza Dough
From scratch, and easily... some of the pest pizza crust you'll EVER have!